Frequently Asked Questions
- Which cell network can I use with the L-5500?
The L-5500 operates on all major cellular networks including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile thanks to the integrated Gobi 3000 chipset.
You can change the currently selected cellular carrier at anytime using the integrated web interface.
- Do I need a data card?
- No, the L-5500 has an internal cellular module compatible with most cell networks including Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and others.
- Do I need my own data plan?
- You may use the L-5500 on your own plan or use a packaged GPS Tracking plan with GPS Logic. If using your own plan, please use a 1GB or higher monthly data allowance.
- Do I need anything else besides the L-5500 for data connectivity?
In addition to the L-5500, you'll need a set of antennas and a valid cellular data plan.
For full functionality, you'll need the following antennas:
- Primary Cell Antenna
- Diversity Cell Antenna
- GPS Antenna (amplified with 3.3 to 5V bias)
- WiFi Antenna
For reduced costs and more efficient use of vehicle space, Atlas Labs recommends the LD-8 Combination Antenna which combines a cellular, WiFi, and GPS antenna into one housing.
- Why do I need two cellular antennas for my router?
See our document on Antenna Guidelines. In very simple terms, having two antennas allows the receiver (and sometimes transmitter) to compare signals between the two antennas for best reception. This is called Receive Diversity or MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output), depending on how it's implemented.
- Does the L-5500 stay on continuously? Will it drain my battery?
The L-5500 can be configured to stay on continuously, or shutdown anywhere from 1 minute to 24 hours after the vehicle's ignition shuts off. The L-5500 also monitors your battery voltage and may be configured to shut itself off if the voltage drops too low.
The L-5500 also reports the vehicle's battery health to supported remote monitoring systems such as the GPS Logic fleet management system.
- Can I use the L-5500 with my CAD AVL?
Yes! The L-5500 allows you to stream GPS data using the industry standard NMEA or TAIP GPS reporting protocols. Most major CAD systems support these formats out-of-the-box without software customization.
Without GPS Logic's vehicle tracking system, you may not realize the full-power of your solution including the ability to remotely monitor sensors and activate alarms.
- Can I use my Zoll/Physio/Philips heart monitor with it?
Yes, the L-5500 can be used with your cardiac monitor if it supports WiFi. Atlas Labs recommends using WPA-2 security for the highest level encryption.